Look at me! I blog!

Saturday, June 17, 2006

I Need a Hug...

Ah, film festivals. A chance to view the work of independant film makers from all over the world. Sneak peaks at films that may become huge successes in the industry, or may simply vanish into nothingness. I had the privelage of working the Cinevegas Film festival this year, which took place over this last week. I wore my volunteer badge with pride and showed up early to each of my shifts. I was rewarded with film vouchers which I eagerly accepted. In total, I saw 4.2 films. What was this .2 film you may be wondering? Well, it was in fact a feature length film. It simply was a feature length film I could not stomach enough to sit through more than 20 minutes of. Lunacy is a Czech movie about a young man with terrible nightmares who...well, I don't really know. I didn't stay long enough to find out. I walked out of the movie feeling shaky and wondering how anyone could watch the film in its entirity.
Why are things of dark, disturbing nature thought to be genius? Why is it that images of torture and brutality are revered in our society as "poignant" and "intellectual?" Am I just too much of an ignoramous to "get it?" If being appalled at the idea of people in pain is wrong, I don't want to be right.

6 Comments:

  • *hug*

    I feel the same way about gratuitous gore and violence. Sadly, as much as I hate to use the word "desensitized", it's the only word that I can think of when describing why we (the general population) can tolerate so much.

    Ask yourself these questions:

    When was the last time I cried when I found out a soldier had been killed?

    When was the last time I was shocked when a child was kidnapped? (sad, okay--but utterly stunned is what I'm going for here)

    Do you even give a shi* about Natalee Holloway anymore? (I don't)

    Would you bat a long eyelash if you found out Lindsay Lohan was on crack?

    (new game...! it's called the "would you be ___ if ____?" game)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 5:39 PM  

  • Wowzers...amazing point.

    You sure gave my brain something to gnaw on today.

    By Blogger Moonery, At 8:58 AM  

  • worse - I sometimes wish something bad would happen to Lindsey Lohan.

    By Blogger jez, At 1:37 PM  

  • At least Lindsey sings.... can we focus our powers on making Paris Hilton disappear?

    By Blogger Charisee310, At 8:35 AM  

  • We need an 80s movie revival. Remember all the sweet inspiratinal flicks of that era? All the motivating musical montages in the likes of Breakfast Club, Real Genius, Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure? When will this glorification of pain and vice end!!!!???

    By Blogger Charisee310, At 8:37 AM  

  • What about that scene in Pretty in Pink where she resolves to be strong and go to her prom, and it shows her making her dress? I get all choked up just thinking about it.

    By Blogger Moonery, At 10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home