Look at me! I blog!

Sunday, March 12, 2006

More Mozzerella

Every now and then life throws you a golden treat of an afternoon that lifts your spirit to the skies and inspires you to believe everything is as it should be. I was given such an afternoon yesterday and I'm still basking in the peace it gave me.
I had my morning all planned out. 11:30 post office, 12:00 taxes, and then go to they gym. Well, my tax appointment (yes, I'm a number moron so I still have H & R Block do them for me) was bumped to 1:00 which skewed my schedule ever so slightly. I didn't mind! Black clouds covered the sky and it was beautiful to me, so I took the time I had remaining before my taxes to stroll about the shopping complex H&R block was located in.
Icy cold wind picked up and while it cut through the red hoodie I was wearing, I couldn't help but notice a delicious, spicy aroma riding upon it. Taking Tucan Sam's advice, I "followed my nose," and it took me to Siena Italian Food Store and Cafe.
Had I known such a place existed in Las Vegas I would have visited it sooner! As soon as I set foot in the little shop I forgot I was in the desert...I was in Italy, in a family owned shop where all were welcome. A tiny dining area was crowded with happy patrons and an elderly yet spry man was seated in a polished wooden chair playing traditional music on the accordian. I browsed several minutes taking in the atmosphere before finally ordering a serving of fresh mozzerella and a steaming bowl of Italian sausage soup with vegetables that came with a large, chewy piece of garlic bread. I seated myself near a group of Italian men ranging from their 40s to 70s who had pushed two tables together. Joyfully sharing wine they poured from a fat glass jug, the men conversed in Italian and were clearly enjoying themselves. Every now and then, the man playing the accordian would start a tune they were clearly familiar with and they would all begin to sing with perfect pitch and amazing clarity. I wanted to stay and listen to them forever. I wanted to sit at there table, but I was happy to be near them and observe them as well. Did they wonder, perhaps, about the blonde girl seated alone who kept peering at them with such interest? All the while the man kept playing according with such a sublime expression and kind eyes...I was overcome with the feeling that nothing bad could ever happen as long as he kept playing. I ended staying there nearly an hour, long after my plate had been cleared, just soaking in the feeling of the moment.
At the risk of rambling more and more about this thing I can't quite explain, I will simply say...I know where I'm having lunch next Saturday!

7 Comments:

  • Well, that does it--I'm buying mozzerella sticks from the baseball field snack shack. It's a far cry from you and Nick's fancy mozzerella stories, but it will do. :)

    Happy Monday!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:18 AM  

  • I love me some mozzerellie stickeroos. That sounds way good right now.

    By Blogger Moonery, At 10:16 AM  

  • Viva La Mozzarella! It's really all you need to make a good day. Suzy that lunch sounded absolutely lovely!!!

    By Blogger jez, At 11:08 AM  

  • Next time you're in town, I'll take you there...



    Or Farm Basket Chicken and Turkey.

    By Blogger Moonery, At 1:16 PM  

  • Oh my, that's what I could go for right now--a HUGE steaming basket of fried chicken and turkey. Add in a dozen bisquits and I'm in--I'm in...I'm in...food hell.

    Can anyone say gut-bomb?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:14 PM  

  • Oh-speaking of guy bombs, sometimes you just don't care what you eat. Today I had a corn dog and onion rings and a bowl of miso soup for lunch. I hate myself right now...but it was so good at the moment.
    NEVER AGAIN!!
    Never...

    By Blogger Moonery, At 2:29 PM  

  • What a combination - are you sure you are feeling alright :) Miso soup and onion rings...hmmm...

    By Blogger jez, At 9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home